Monday, February 22, 2010

Can I write off my haircuts and uniform expenses for taxes?

I am a TX resident and and Active Duty military member. I do get a clothing allowance of about 550 a yr., but by regulation I have to conform to certain standards. I get a haircut once a week ($8) plus a tip ($2). This comes out to almost my clothing allowance, plus I still have uniform expenses throughout the year which exceed the allowance. On top of that I also have to pay for gas on a vehicle ($45/week) which I use primarily to, from, and at work. What about my cell phone? I have a cell phone that I use primarily for work communications, can I write that off? I've read about the gas and phone things but I can't find anything on the haircuts.Can I write off my haircuts and uniform expenses for taxes?
well...you can write off the hair cuts but not the tip. you can write off your clothes if you only wear them for active duty. meaning you must take them off imediately when you get home. the gas you cannot write off because you have to go from work to somewhere else and back to work before you can write it off. and the cell phone is not required for the military. therefore you can only write off your haircuts because it is manditory. you should look it up based on your state. i think though you can only write if off if you get your haircut by military personnel.Can I write off my haircuts and uniform expenses for taxes?
ok just so you know about the cell phones, the army provides cell phones to people that need it. ie. 1SG CSM and you S3. stuff like that

Report Abuse



You can't deduct haircuts even if they are required. There was an article online about a woman who got in trouble for telling military families they could deduct things like cell phones and haircuts when it was not true.





http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/20鈥?/a>





Also if you deduct any items that you get an allowance for you have to count that allowance as income.
1) Haircuts, though required, are not deductible.





2) Gas for commuting back and forth to work is not deductible, whatever your job is.





3) The uniform expenses are deductible to the extent that they exceed your allowance but they are an itemized deduction subject to 2% of your income so it may not help you at all.





4) Unless the military requires you to have a cell phone, the expenses for it are not deductible even if used for work related calls.
Uniforms yes, for the amount that is over the clothing allowance. Haircuts no. Mileage for driving to and from work, no, that's commuting expense and is not deductible. Cell phone, maybe, but only if youi are required by the military to have it.





The uniforms, and cell phone if deductible, would be unreimbursed employee business expenses. You'd have to subtract 2% of your AGI from the total - the rest would be allowable as itemized deductions if you itemize. If you don't itemize, then none of the items you list could be deducted.
1. Uniform:





';You usually cannot deduct the expenses for uniform cost and upkeep. Generally, you must wear uniforms when on duty and you are allowed to wear them when off duty.





If military regulations prohibit you from wearing certain uniforms when off duty, you can deduct the cost and upkeep of the uniforms, but you must reduce your expenses by any allowance or reimbursement you receive.





Expenses for the cost and upkeep of the following articles are deductible.





Military battle dress uniforms and utility uniforms that you cannot wear when off duty.





Articles not replacing regular clothing, including insignia of rank, corps devices, epaulets, aiguillettes, and swords.





Reservists' uniforms if you can wear the uniform only while performing duties as a reservist.';





2. Gas:


It is a better deal to take the fixed number of cents per mile of use for work than to deduct the actual cost of the gas.

No comments:

Post a Comment